    SubjectRe: (reiserfs) Re: I discussed reading directories as files with jra, Stallman, and
    Bill Huey <> writes:

    > > you havent tried this, have you? The new 2.2 kernel includes a rather fast
    > > file namespace cache implementation, it takes ~5 microseconds to look up a
    > > file. Too slow?
    > Things like .so file in /usr/lib, icons in /usr/something/ will be automatically
    > skipped since this stuff is contained within the application or OS resource fork,
    > so the search space for a particular file under HFS is much smaller in MacOS
    > than with Win32/Unix since everything is treated as a file within those OSes.
    > That's why a rather broken MacOS can search for a file name much faster than
    > Win32/Unix, because there aren't that many files to search in the first place.
    > All the libs/icons/sound file are not file within the FS.

    Which is great on a _single user_ system like a Mac. But shouldn't be
    done on a multi user system, as all of the above are just defaults
    which can be overridden by multiple users at the same time.

    James Antill --

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.019 / U:55.504 seconds]