    SubjectRe: (reiserfs) Re: I discussed reading directories as files with jra, Stallman, and loic

    On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

    > Pavel Machek writes:
    > > [somebody, likely Hans Reiser]
    >
    > >> Jeremy wants in the FS what he can get with Microsoft streams and
    > >> Macintosh forks. That is, he wants to be able to name an object, and
    > >> read it, and get something, and he wants to be able to add something
    > >> that goes into that object, and stays with it when the object gets moved.
    > >> He wants this because he is a Samba author, and it will make his life a
    > >> lot easier to have it when Windows 2000 comes out.
    > >
    > > Oops. Should not he do it himself? This will make samba non-portable
    > > and what is worse samba will not run on ext2.
    >
    > There are several answers to that...
    >
    > Samba remains portable, minus Windows 2000 emulation.
    > It is easy to enhance ext2 in the same way.
    > If ext2 and BSD don't evolve, they die. Problem?

    Or NT will eventually die. Much more desirable outcome, IMO. It's
    definitely inferior design. Remember, every self-appointed UNIX-killer
    ate flaming death and UNIX is alive and well. Where is VMS? Where is
    OS/2? Where is (spit) MacOS? Exactly. They boast. They suck. They die.
    It is that simple. NT will follow them, just give it some time. New
    "UNIX-killer" will appear, only to follow the previous ones. Who cares?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.028 / U:9.116 seconds]