Subject[off-topic] Microsoft IP Stack
Date
Just in response to a thread gone by...

The Microsoft IP stack is a native implementation. It was written
from scratch according to the relevant RFCs. It was re-written
to take advantage of the Win32 API featureset to provide the most
efficient implementation on our platform.

While it is API compatible with the BSD/Unix implementation (sockets),
it does not contain the BSD source code base, nor is it derived from it.
(Except, of course, for API compatibility).
In addition to the standard synchronous sockets API, it also provides
win32 asynchronous I/O.

As for the claim that we would never admit that Unix has provided
an excellent heritage, that simply isn't true. In regard to this
particular example, if memory serves, the original IP stacks weren't
produced on Unix, but on DEC machines. (eg, PDP-11, VAX)

--joshco
Protocols. Microsoft.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.057 / U:1.456 seconds]