    SubjectRe: (reiserfs) Re: I discussed reading directories as files with jra, Stallman, and loic
    On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 tytso@mit.edu wrote:

    [big snippage]
    > And if we don't know exactly how it will be used, how will we know
    > what sort of performace/feature tradeoffs we need to make before it
    > will be useful?

    I'm with Ted on this one, not that it matters.

    One of the stated objectives of reiserfs is to allow applications
    programmers efficiently to use the filesystem as their primary
    storage interface, rather than having to amalgamate small objects
    into opaque things like DBM files.

    File streams may help this, but they require the user (and thus his
    toolset) to work at a higher abstraction level and forget the usual
    assumption that a document is a file is a document.

    In that case, my preference would be just to work with directories
    and be done with it.

    Matthew.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.021 / U:60.708 seconds]