    SubjectRe: immutable flag on ext2fs
    Date
    Hey Alan!

    Alan Cox enscribed thusly:

    > There is a proper way to solve this. Use 2.0.37 and redefine the securelevel
    > to read from a parallel port or similar and check for a magic code. Now you
    > can wire yourself a superuser enable dongle .

    Care to elaborate on this a bit?

    I've been tinkering with using a SmartMedia card with a pcmcia
    adapter to do a smartcard/dongle kind of thing for some crypto work. For
    a laptop, this helps keep things like keys off the box and transportable
    between boxes without leaving it sitting (yes, yes, I know about caching
    issues and trojans and the whole nine yards).

    Sounds like a similar idea to the parallel port idea.

    What about 2.2? I noticed that the capabilities stuff is largely
    supplanting the securelevel idea.

    > Alan

    Mike
    --