SubjectRe: immutable flag on ext2fs
Hey Alan!

Alan Cox enscribed thusly:

> There is a proper way to solve this. Use 2.0.37 and redefine the securelevel
> to read from a parallel port or similar and check for a magic code. Now you
> can wire yourself a superuser enable dongle .

Care to elaborate on this a bit?

I've been tinkering with using a SmartMedia card with a pcmcia
adapter to do a smartcard/dongle kind of thing for some crypto work. For
a laptop, this helps keep things like keys off the box and transportable
between boxes without leaving it sitting (yes, yes, I know about caching
issues and trojans and the whole nine yards).

Sounds like a similar idea to the parallel port idea.

What about 2.2? I noticed that the capabilities stuff is largely
supplanting the securelevel idea.

> Alan

Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 |
(The Mad Wizard) | (770) 925-8248 |
PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471 | possible worlds. A pessimist is sure of it!