SubjectRe: lantency scheduling benchmarks of audio playing tasks during high disk I/O

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Benno Senoner wrote:

> > Still, it would be nice, as I said above, for writes to audio devices (and
> > MIDI, and serial, and all other non-disk devices) to be considered
> > independent of any locking or synchronization schemes used for disk
> > writes. There is no reason that I can see for their to be any
> > relationship between write ("/dev/sda1", ...) and write ("/dev/dsp",
> > ...), certainly not once any lookups the file descriptors are done.
>
> fully agree, seems that ,according to Alan Cox, each device-class
> ( audio / MIDI / serial) has to be "decoupled" from the disk I/O locking
> separately,
> he said the audio part is a task for the ALSA people,
> so I think we should begin to think about how to implement this.

i think this is a red herring - IRQ latencies _never_ cause even near to
15 msec delays even on low class 486 systems, unless there is some really
bad device in the system. So unless someone really analyzes what is going
on (i dont use soundcards myself so i cant really help) you might end up
solving the wrong problem.

do you get dropouts even if you increase the audio buffer to ridiculous
sizes? Does anyone have a technical explanation about why these dropouts
happen? I could also help solving this problem if there is any
audio-independent 'simulation utility' that shows similar symptoms to
those dropouts.

-- mingo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.051 / U:1.524 seconds]