SubjectRe: Fw: Some very thought-provoking ideas about OS architecture.
> 3. System-wide (i.e. global) checkpoint.  In this design, the entire machine is
> periodically snapshotted and written to disk. This is the EROS and KeyKOS
> design. It can be done with very low overhead.

I am dying to see an efficient checkpoint of a 300Gig usenet object spool which
is receiving articles 24x7 at about 150 a second, shared with 12 servers feeding
about 8000 clients in parallel, feeding a filtered subset of the stream to
a collection of remote sites and expiring objects at a similar rate to
arrival.

That is the challenge.

I accept without reservation the snapshot the entire box model makes sense for
a simple appliance with little state. Thats an established old old method.
(example: ADVENT - the original fortran monsterpiece)

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.052 / U:0.348 seconds]