    SubjectRe: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)

    vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl said:
    > grub is all but dead, AFAIKS. Or is a version after 0.5 hiding
    > somewhere?

    > Any tips to get it to work? The documentation is singularly opaque (or
    > maybe I'm just being dumb ;)

    First tip: Don't compile with any of the compilers that come with RH 5.2 -
    they both miscompile it. I only actually got it to compile with an egcs
    snapshot on my College machine, which I've since updated to RH 6.0. I haven't
    tried it on 6.0 yet.

    The symptom of the miscompile was that the machine just locked up on booting,
    after reading grub off the floppy.

    Secondly, if you actually manage to compile it, comment out the 'clever' mem=
    argument which it passes to the kernel. It thinks it knows better, but in
    practice it rarely does any more.

    David Woodhouse David.Woodhouse@mvhi.com Office: (+44) 1223 810302
    Project Leader, Process Information Systems Mobile: (+44) 976 658355
    Axiom (Cambridge) Ltd., Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridge, CB5 0NA, UK.
    finger dwmw2@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk for PGP key.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.021 / U:30.228 seconds]