    SubjectRe: Massive e2fs corruption with 2.2.9/10?
    On Sun, Jun 20, 1999 at 11:36:17AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Harald Koenig wrote:
    > >
    > > update: I'm no longer sure that it's a kernel problem in my case.
    > > after reducing the CPU clock from 450 to 400 MHz I've now compiled
    > > >2*100 kernels using 2.2.10 with no single problem at all.
    > Hmm.. Interesting.
    > > so maybe it was just a hardware problem for me -- or it's some weird race
    > > which doesn't show up for 400 but only for 450 MHz ?! I can't believe that yet...
    > Could be. It sounds fairly unlikely, but timing-related bugs are always
    > the worst to find. I wonder what it was that pushed the system over the
    > edge in the later 2.2.x (we had a _lot_ of this in the 2.0.x timeframe:
    > people who had run 1.2.x with no problems and suddenly got problems due to
    > 2.0 being better at utilizing the hardware).
    > But yes, for the time being I will just assume it is hardware-related, and
    > just wait for the reports to continue.

    Hello all, hello Linus,

    I watched that thread with great interrest and now I have to add something
    to it. I have two systems: One is an AMD K6-2 350 MHz the other is a new
    dual Pentium III 450 Mhz. By the time I installed the dual cpu system I
    upgraded my kernel to 2.2.9 and saw the same file corruption.

    Then I changed my RAM timings to lower values and everything worked. I
    thought it was a RAM issue, but today I took the time and installed my new
    RAM's from the dual system into the AMD system and they are working without
    problems at high settings.

    File corruption occurs when I untar two linux-tarballs and do a diff between
    the two. I can see random bit flipping and and excahnged lines of source.

    Theese corruptions also happen when I use an UP kernel on the dual cpu machine
    and do _not_ happen on the AMD system. I disagree that it's hardware-related,
    because both systems are running at 100 Mhz bus speed and were both under
    heavy load during these tests.

    I think it's a hard-to-trigger timing issue in the kernel, because using 2.2.6
    on the dual machine at high ram timings do not show corruptions.

    PS: Sorry this mail sounds confused, but I'm willing to do any tests you want
    on both machines.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.023 / U:18.412 seconds]