    SubjectRe: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)

    > NB: I'm not convinced that a devfs which is directly mountable on /dev makes
    > sense *in the presence of hot-swappable devices*. It's a bit *too* mutable.
    > "devfsd == vold done right" appears to make more sense IMHO. If there are
    > no hot-swappable devices available, it is workable; but IMHO it's a bad idea
    > to set things up that way because things will go wacky as soon as someone
    > starts hot-swapping USB devices... it's bad to have a default setup which
    > breaks in strange ways when one starts taking advantage of hot-swappable
    > devices on modern computers.

    Well, hot-swap is in so early development stage in linux, now, that if
    hot-swap is only reason you dislike devfs -- go for it.

    It is currently not clear how we'll identify devices on USB (their
    unique serial numbers are not that unique after all). Just solve
    problems we have _now_ and then start developing hot-swap support into

    I'm really Look at Pavel

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.037 / U:2.600 seconds]