    SubjectRe: I discussed reading directories as files with jra, Stallman, and loic

    On 20 Jun 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > I don't think that is true. I think the directory and the file should be
    > considered separate, it's just that "lookup()" can find one or the other
    > depending on use..

    lookup()? It will confuse the living hell of dcache lookups, for one.

    > So I think it should be considered a _naming_ issue, and not much else.

    Elaborate, please. What is the parent dentry of file that happens to have
    the same name as a directory? What happens upon rename() over (or from)
    it? I'm not asking about the implementation - just about the semantics you
    want for those objects. What do you want to see if it is NFS-exported?
    What do you want to have upon d_path() of such animal?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.019 / U:120.128 seconds]