SubjectRe: Why khttpd is a bad idea
Date
Dan Hollis wrote:
> Exactly. In-kernel http is lower memory profile, simpler, and faster.
> All are major issues in embedded systems.

Hate to burst this bubble, but what is the use of a completely static web
server on an embedded device? None. If you can't use dynamic pages then
you can't report status, and if you can't handle some kind of CGI or
whatever else, then you can't do dynamic configuration. Which means you'll
need a CGI-capable web server running in user space anyway to do useful work
in an embedded device. Thus, no memory savings. The extra memory for
in-kernel khttpd might even matter on an embedded device, so I doubt it
would get used anyway.

Sure, you might be able to make things marginally faster -- just remember
there is a cost there, too. There's a reason that all processes don't run
at privelege 0, and that's because it makes the system less reliable.

Chris Smith

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.039 / U:0.472 seconds]