SubjectRe: Same HD, same settings, different geometry
Guest section DW wrote:

> Martijn van Oosterhout [such a good Dutch name - why this nonsense?
> is it the Australian climate?] writes:
>
> >> Same HD, same settings, different geometry
>
> > This question comes up occasionally.
>
> Yes, it is answered in the Large Disk FAQ/HOWTO.
> (Section 14.2: Nonproblem: Identical disks have different geometry?)

Thanks for pointing this (great doc!), I've never had problem with disk.
Before starting to understood about those difference I expect to find
such information on linux/Documentation/ide.txt ;)
As I say this a "Nonproblem", it's only _cosmetics_ that hurt me a bit
Linux used to be transparent ...

> > As a rule (AFAIK), LBA does not work/is not supported on the
> > secondary controller chain.
>
> Nonsense.

Ok, so linux ( latest version of course ) can fdisk any "fresh disks"
connect to secondary IDE _without_ problem.

Ok two questions came up now ( as I say on my first mail ) :

Why query the bios if Linux uses "ATA IDENTIFY request" ?
What do you think about proposed "nocmosgeom" ?

Another questions that remove the previous two:

Why hda,hdb Bios setting have priority ( aka showed ) over
"ATA IDENTIFY request" ?

Many thanks,
luca
Aiem...: Luca Montecchiani W.W.W.: http://i.am/m.luca
E-mail.: m.luca@iname.com Kernel: 2.2
I.R.C..: defrag (#linux-it) I.C.Q.: 17655604
PGP5.0i: available on my home page Lime98: io c'ero ;)