SubjectRe: Network bug 2.2.* - reboot linux every week?
On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> tcpdump data from some clients and the server when this occurs might
> make this debuggable. Otherwise it could be anything on your network, even
> the switches

Our network had problems not unlike this. Eventually traced to a
defective NIC on a Windows box elsewhere in the LAN. Interesting
points: (1) bad packets from bad NIC never caused anything worse than
slowdowns till the second 2.2 Linux box appeared on the network, after
which the first 2.2 box started going crazy as described by Dietmar;
(2) rebooting said first 2.2 box with 2.0.37pre10 or pre12 made the
problem go away but only temporarily; within a few days the machine
would crash with "too much work in interrupt" -- rebooting again with
2.2.7 or 2.2.9 would cause network flood within 5 minutes. Removing
defective NIC (once we found it) eliminated the bad behaviour, but
obviously there's a vulnerability in 2.2 somewhere. I have Dietmar's
problem that these are production boxen and I can't experiment much
(it's fiscal yearend chez nous and people are working at all hours).
I've asked that the bad NIC be delivered to me so I can set up a test
mini-network and see if I can reproduce the troubles. More later if I
get anything interesting; just wanted to issue a heads-up that there may
be something real here to worry about.

--
Greg Louis