SubjectRe: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel
On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 12:33:03PM +0800, David Luyer wrote:
> > Is it common for the BIOS to be able to configure and boot
> > from PCMCIA IDE cards? My (somewhat well informed) impression is that
> > this is not so common or so fool-proof. It doesn't work this way on
> > any of the laptops I've owned.
>
> Well, you haven't owned all the laptops.

I didn't say such things don't exist: I'm well aware of them. It is
not the norm, and such things are not foolproof. That's all I said.

> Some of the ones without any
> internal removable media drives -- floppy or CD -- have 'smart' BIOSes,
> otherwise with a HDD failure you'd be screwed.

These generally require that you use the floppy or CD interface card
provided by your laptop vendor, not an arbitrary off-the-shelf PCMCIA
IDE card. The 'smart' BIOSes are not so smart as to be able to
configure arbitrary removable media devices. They may work with other
cards, and they may not.

-- Dave Hinds

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.118 / U:0.336 seconds]