    SubjectRe: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel

    David Hinds wrote:

    > Given that a small minority of systems can boot an IDE CD-ROM, and an
    > even smaller minority of laptops can boot an IDE PCMCIA device, this
    > is bullshit.

    How about the people whose only boot option (other than internal HDD) is
    a PCMCIA floppy disk? Installing Linux on a Toshiba Libretto is usually
    a real pain. The floppy driver isn't in the standard PCMCIA package (I don't
    know, maybe because it's GPL and PCMCIA isn't? - or you just want us to
    have to download source from even more sites to build an updated kernel?)

    [unrelated problem is that LDLINUX and LILO with 2.0.x kernels don't work
    on the 110CT model, you have to LOADLIN from Win98 anyway -- on the 70CT
    it's fine]

    The FDD is only visible from the BIOS to load a single floppy disk, and then
    you either need PCMCIA on that floppy disk to interface with the FDD or
    network, or you need to do SLIP/PPP from the boot floppy (argh!) or to
    have used Win98 to put the further required floppy images onto a DOS partition
    (my current solution, but I'd rather avoid it in future).

    PCMCIA in the mainstream kernel would be great - more people would be willing
    to look at all the bugs in it, it wouldn't get missed in global driver updates
    and with USB support coming, the same types of features need to be supported
    in the mainstream kernel anyway. Plus, maybe, eventually, I could run a
    non-modular kernel on my laptop - the only system I have to use modules on
    (I don't use modules if at all possible).

    David.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.021 / U:32.032 seconds]