SubjectRE: Massive e2fs corruption with 2.2.9/10?
Date
> > I am also seeing many frame errors on my ISA networkcard
> (NE2000 compatible,
> > realtek 8019 chip). When using an PCI card, these problems
> disappear, but it
> > isn't a faulty card, because I tried another one.
>
> Did you try another motherboard however >

Nope, due to not having one ;-)

> > These problems appear to be memory or timing related, so I
> currently suspect
> > the DMA work-arounds for the VP3 chipset, but I will not be
> certain of that
> > before I have tried an older kernel.
>
> The VP3 DMA workaround stuff is only used by sound cards, and is specific
> to some 16bit ISA DMA funnies. How is your VP3 set up, I have mine set up
> as 66MHz memory bus, 33MHz CPU bus, Cyrix MII CPU, write allocate
> enabled [
> I think. Intel i740 in the AGP slot, 3c509 ethernet. Other cards
> not in use.

Yes, I know that. I just wasn't certain that it did not affect anything
else...
The configuration is: 66MHz mem (PC100 Dimm), 33MHz CPU, K6-200 CPU. Other
cards not in use, but here they are anyways:
PCI: WinTV PCI, SBLive, 100MBit networkcard with 21140 (-FA?) chip and afore
mentioned Symbios 876 (actually an Diamond Fireport 40 dual, with the
Symbios 4.14 bios on it, and nvram bytes 0 and 1 set to 0 to make it work.
Had some troubles with the diamond bios, you know, and diamond was to lazy
to answer)
ISA: Serial card for com 3&4, irq's shared with onboard ports and afore
mentioned RTL8019

Oh, and by the way, in kernels >2.2.5 I have the new symbios driver (as a
module via initrd)

> The IDE drive Im using is pre UDMA. The other drive is a 640Mb
> M/O ATAPI drive
> using ide-scsi, which afaik is also non UDMA
No UDMA drives in use, so that can't be the cause...

I'll see if I have enough time to check things with some 2.1 kernel. I'll
let you know.

Jeroen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.082 / U:0.064 seconds]