    SubjectRe: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)

    On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

    > Trivially: it's the module installer's job. (Actually, dynamic devices
    > are bad, this one of the major reasons why.)

    dynamic devices are good, and even if they aren't, there are lots of
    them out there, and there's going to be more. Personally what I would REALLY
    like to see is the ability to remove/replace a scsi disk in a system while
    the system is running. Don't know if devfs supports it (Or PC hardware in
    general, but I think it does).
    This would assist me greatly in keeping servers up and happy and
    handling user requests. That ability, and raid0+1 make a powerful
    combination for very high reliability.

    Stephen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.052 / U:0.340 seconds]