    SubjectRe: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)
    On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
    > Actually, I'm not convinced that major/minor numbers are the problem.
    > Right now we have our choice between statically allocated major/minor
    > numbers, which admittedly can be a problem because you have to deal with
    > a central registry (although I don't that problem is *that* bad yet!),
    > or purely dynamic major numbers which have the problem that it's hard to
    > create the devices with the correct major number. (Althoguh this
    > problem can be solved; I dealt with it in the Comtrol Rocketport
    > driver's rc.d script, before I got a statically allocated major number.)

    The current major/minor allocations are becoming a mess. There are holes,
    and some legacy overlaps in allocations. There are also some arbitrary
    limits on number of devices eg serial that are caused by maj/min
    allocation. There might be plans to move to 8:24 or 16:16 but still doesnt
    solve the problem of central registry and general messiness. In fact it
    may make it worse 8)

    And it looks like /dev/ptyp0 moved from 4:128 to 2:0 - what happens if you
    boot a new kernel on an old fs with ancient maj/min allocations? Does the
    kernel bitch or does it blow up 8)

    -Dan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.023 / U:29.724 seconds]