SubjectRe: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)
Richard Gooch wrote:

> H. Peter Anvin writes:

> > > Credit me with having thought about the issues before I started
> > > coding. I even discussed things on the list before I started
> > > coding. Devfs is most definately a response to a set of real problems.
> >
> > You did, and I agree it is a response. I don't think it is the
> > *correct* response (as I have explained many times on this list many
> > times both before and after you first started on this.)
>
> You ignored the point I'm making. You said that devfs is a solution
> looking for a problem. That is incorrect. There are (were) several
> problems for which I came up with a solution.
>
> You are entitled to have your opinion on whether devfs is the right
> solution or not. However, it's just plain rude to insinuate that I
> coded before thinking.

No, but you did go out and say "I'm going to write devfs". Then when
encountered with the problems with the approach, you build hacks around
the problems.

The problem with devfs is that if your configuration is vanilla enough,
it seems quite compelling. It's the Microsoft "one size fits all"
approach.

-hpa

--
"The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with