    SubjectRe: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)
    Dan Hollis wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > > Dan Hollis wrote:
    > > > This is not as useful or important as you try to make it out to be.
    > > Useful to whom? (Not you, I gather.)
    > If you start playing around with device names, expect severe application
    > breakage.
    > Or maybe you have some interesting justification to start renaming
    > /dev/tty* into other things?
    > Or lets rename /dev/null on a whim and see how useful that is.
    > -Dan

    You totally don't get it, do you? First of all, there is the
    permissions issue. Second of all, say I have a device called, say
    /dev/keyboard. Now I want to simulate keyboard input with a user-space
    process, or redirect the keyboard input from say, a serial port. That's
    what a level of indirection is for.

    "The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
    Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with
    and that would not necessarily arouse suspicions."
    -- Security exploit description on

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.020 / U:0.404 seconds]