    SubjectRe: Massive e2fs corruption with 2.2.9/10?
    Once upon a time, Harald Koenig <> said:
    > two times I got strange ext2fs errors -- there was a duplicate block
    > both times. for the 2nd error I kept the fsck log:
    > Duplicate blocks found... invoking duplicate block passes.
    > Pass 1B: Rescan for duplicate/bad blocks
    > Duplicate/bad block(s) in inode 196693: 787271
    > Duplicate/bad block(s) in inode 196854: 787271
    > Duplicate/bad block(s) in inode 418198: 787271
    > Pass 1C: Scan directories for inodes with dup blocks.
    > Pass 1D: Reconciling duplicate blocks
    > (There are 3 inodes containing duplicate/bad blocks.)

    Yep, that is the kind of errors e2fsck gave me, except it went on
    forever. It looked like it was finding Duplicate/bad block(s) in
    virtually every inode. I eventually gave up on e2fsck and did a "mke2fs
    -S /dev/sda9; e2fsck -f -y /dev/sda9" and was able to get a good bit of
    stuff back.

    > and now recently I got crashes in two programs at runtime (1st mutt, later emacs).
    > in both cases `rpm -V package' showed `..5.....' and trashing the buffer cache
    > `fixed' the problem.
    > for emacs, I kept a copy of the bad image/buffer before `fixing' and here I get
    > # cmp -l /usr/bin/emacs.good /usr/bin/emacs.bad
    > 300137 355 255

    Yeah, the first time this happened (June 1), I had this happen too. I
    was doing a recursive grep through the linux source (like "find
    /usr/local/src/linux -type f -name '*.[ch]' -print | xargs grep -l
    something"), when I started getting the "attempt to access beyond end of
    device" errors. Right after that I get the "ext2_readdir: bad entry in
    directory #208897: rec_len % 4 != 0" errors. When I abort the find and
    try to "ls /usr/local/src/linux", the directory is empty. I immediately
    quit X and start trying to see what is wrong, and things are
    disappearing all over the place. I then couldn't even run "ls" - I just
    got "Segementation fault". I booted up single user, saved what I could,
    and re-installed.

    The second time this happened (June 15), I wasn't even doing anything
    filesystem-intensive that I recall. I just noticed that when I did "ls"
    in my home directory, weird things were showing up (like what once was a
    directory was now a device node). I couldn't even save anything this
    time (although luckily I was able to dig through the raw partition and
    find the most important .tar.gz file and extract it before

    The first time I was running 2.2.9 (it had been up for about a week) and
    the second time I was running 2.2.10 (it had been up for a few days). I
    have dropped back to 2.2.5, although I'll probably move up to 2.2.6
    (which has been up and running great on my news server for two months).

    > (so also only one bit flipped). I'm not sure if it's 2.2.9/2.2.10 or maybe
    > it's a hardware problem, because it just started when I changed hardware
    > (CPU, mainboard, memory) to AMD K6-2-450 with 128MB (DFI main board).
    > but now reading similar reports, maybe it's not my hardware ?!
    > did you change your hardware [settings?] recently ?

    Nope. The ONLY thing I changed was the kernel. I did add another
    (identical) drive after the first time everything died, because at first
    I thought it might be just a drive failing. Also I wanted to try to do
    a new install and recover what I could from the messed up filesystems.
    However, the second time it happened on the drive I added.
    Chris Adams <> - System Administrator
    Renaissance Internet Services - IBS Interactive, Inc.
    Home: - Public key:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.024 / U:94.888 seconds]