    SubjectRe: ncd (network character device) ?
    Jeff Garzik <> writes:

    > Take a look at 'esddsp' for programs which do not support esd directly.

    Unfortunately this is broken :(

    Specifically, stuff using esddsp is only allowed to change its sample
    rate (SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED) and 8/16bitness (SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT) once.
    This breaks, eg, NAS-over-esd.

    The code to do this in esddsp looks quite deliberate but for goodness
    sake I can't see why it is (see esddsp::dspctl(), especially the
    `settings' variable.)

    I've asked the authors why this is, and the query vanished into a black

    Pity, really, as esddsp could be rather cool. One of these days I'll
    take out that `settings' cruft and see if esddsp still works.

    `dont forget that Linux became only possible because 20 years of OS
    research was carefully studied, analyzed, discussed and thrown
    away.' -- mingo on linux-kernel

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.024 / U:50.472 seconds]