SubjectRe: ncd (network character device) ?
Jeff Garzik <> writes:

> Take a look at 'esddsp' for programs which do not support esd directly.

Unfortunately this is broken :(

Specifically, stuff using esddsp is only allowed to change its sample
rate (SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED) and 8/16bitness (SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT) once.
This breaks, eg, NAS-over-esd.

The code to do this in esddsp looks quite deliberate but for goodness
sake I can't see why it is (see esddsp::dspctl(), especially the
`settings' variable.)

I've asked the authors why this is, and the query vanished into a black

Pity, really, as esddsp could be rather cool. One of these days I'll
take out that `settings' cruft and see if esddsp still works.

`dont forget that Linux became only possible because 20 years of OS
research was carefully studied, analyzed, discussed and thrown
away.' -- mingo on linux-kernel