SubjectRe: Massive e2fs corruption with 2.2.9/10?

Could this be a cabling problem ? I think this is what happening to me..
I have scsi cd-rw (yamaha 4416s) and my scsi controller (sym 810a) doesn't
have active terminator (only passive).
So I can record fine - but when I try to read
(like using dd if=/dev/cdrom | md5sum ) I get errors. (I checked that
recording is ok by using cd driver on another computer). Windows cannot
read big files too.

Vladimir Dergachev

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Benson Chow wrote:

> I had problems similar to this a while back, when I copied large files
> from partition to partition, it would corrupt. I finally was able to
> track it down to my IDE controllers (HD and CDROM) - because NFS copies
> to/from SCSI was fine. That machine was a single CPU Pentium Pro on a
> PIIX3 motherboard (Venus). I figured it was a bad motherboard because
> Windows had Silent Data Corruption as well. But funny it never
> corrupted the superblock or directories or such, just the middle of
> large files...
>
> I've since "upgraded" to a PIIX4/Celeron(SMP) system, and so far, in
> 2.2.9, I haven't had any problems (yet) with files that turn out different
> on copy, even large files... I'll have to try it some more once I get my
> bios fixed from a bad flash ... *sigh* (though my laptop hasn't had any
> problems with 2.2.9 yet.)
>
> -bc

> > > This agress with problems I've been chasing for a few days now...
> > >
> > > If I copy a large (650Mb) file to a different filename, then perform a
> > > compare on them, I encounter random, different miscompares. I've seen
> > > this on several 2.2.9 and 2.2.10 systems.
> >
> > Ahah -- when I try this with a 120MB file, I get non-random miscompares!
> >
> [snip]
>

> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.089 / U:0.040 seconds]