    SubjectRe: 2.2.7 Oops on SMP machine in __free_page() while loading executable
    >> This is from our SMP machine which has been experiencing bi-weekly
    >> silent freezes with kernels all the way back to 2.0.3x. This morning I
    >> actually got an Oops. I don't know if this is related to the silent
    >> freezes or not.
    >> Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000004
    >> current-> tss.cr3 = 05df6000, %cr3 = 05ef6000
    >An oops in __free_page usually means hardware memory corruption.
    >There's not much here to base a software diagnosis on --- is there any
    >particular load pattern which produces the fault?

    Hi Stephen,

    We have a software package that spawns lots of recursive make processes
    and compilers when built. We build it all the time, many multiple
    times per day, and usually without any problem, but I've noticed that
    the machine usually hangs up when someone is doing a build.

    This particular Oops happened while doing a backup of another machine
    via "rmt" and running a script that creates different packages of
    our product. I'm told that this script creates a lot of temporary
    files and thrashes the disk fairly well. The Oops listed the script
    as the process that caused the crash.

    I'm wondering if these previous "silent freezes" I've been having may
    actually be giving Oops's, but I just can't see them because the
    screen is blank and the kernel is too hosed to unblank it. What is
    it exactly that causes the console to blank after a while. I'm sure
    it's something easy, I'm just having a hard time finding it. The
    machine is running RH 5.2.

    Any suggestions for tracking this sort of thing down are welcome.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.045 / U:8.904 seconds]