    SubjectRe: holes for ISA boards...
    Date
    In article <linux.kernel.E10uEH3-0004lP-00@kirtley.cl.cam.ac.uk>,
    Stephen Early <Stephen.Early@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
    >In article <7k6k9q$n11@pell.pell.portland.or.us> you write:
    >> In the simple case, setting mem=<foo> on the command-line should
    >> circumvent any probing.
    >
    >No; probing still takes place, but the results are ignored when mem=
    >is set. The problem with this motherboard was that calling int 0x15,
    >eax=0xe820 made the BIOS print "Out of memory" and halt the machine,
    >so specifying mem= doesn't help.

    Well, the simple solution to that would be to #define
    NO_FANCY_MEMORY and build a custom kernel. It's also dimly
    possible that that one machine is running into a buglet in your
    code (I certainly found some buglets in mine when I moved it over
    to 2.2.9 from 2.0.28; though in my case it wasn't a subtle
    interaction against one bios, but a infinite reboot machine on
    every machine around :-() or it could be that the bios in question
    is actually broken.

    >If the e820 call code in setup.S is only enabled when we're compiling
    >a 586+ kernel, we should be alright.

    I can't say for your testsuite, but I own 486 machines that do
    properly support e820, and which let me put in memory holes.

    ____
    david parsons \bi/ and it's also possible it's some interaction with
    \/ bzImages, which I have to use with 2.2.x :-(

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.025 / U:0.800 seconds]