SubjectRe: initrd redesign (was Re: Partition nightmare Was: Migrating to
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Werner Almesberger wrote:
>> a "general" cleanup mechanism doesn't look too difficult to me, provided
>> that you have the access information somewhere (/proc/mount-devs ?).
> That seems a little hacky to me...

Why ? The kernel maintains a fairly tight relationship between device
numbers and mount points, so unless changes are planned there, exposing
this fact doesn't seem too evil to me. (It should also work fine with
devfs, if that one should ever become mainstream.)

Of course it's not nice that such a /proc/mount-devs would partially
replicate information contained in /proc/mounts, but then there are
good reasons for not changing /proc/mounts.

To be a little more concrete, I'd imagine to include the device number
and the path, e.g. 0x302 /usr Any additional information can be
retrieved in user space from /proc/mounts. The stacking can be
implicit, e.g. recent mounts follow older ones.

But maybe you have a better idea ?

- Werner

/ Werner Almesberger, ICA, EPFL, CH /