    SubjectRe: initrd redesign (was Re: Partition nightmare Was: Migrating to
    H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Werner Almesberger wrote:
    >> a "general" cleanup mechanism doesn't look too difficult to me, provided
    >> that you have the access information somewhere (/proc/mount-devs ?).
    > That seems a little hacky to me...

    Why ? The kernel maintains a fairly tight relationship between device
    numbers and mount points, so unless changes are planned there, exposing
    this fact doesn't seem too evil to me. (It should also work fine with
    devfs, if that one should ever become mainstream.)

    Of course it's not nice that such a /proc/mount-devs would partially
    replicate information contained in /proc/mounts, but then there are
    good reasons for not changing /proc/mounts.

    To be a little more concrete, I'd imagine to include the device number
    and the path, e.g. 0x302 /usr Any additional information can be
    retrieved in user space from /proc/mounts. The stacking can be
    implicit, e.g. recent mounts follow older ones.

    But maybe you have a better idea ?

    - Werner

    / Werner Almesberger, ICA, EPFL, CH /

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.021 / U:2.156 seconds]