SubjectRe: initrd redesign (was Re: Partition nightmare Was: Migrating to larger numbers)
Date
In article <cistron.19990614122121.L1415@mencheca.ch.genedata.com>,
Matthew Wilcox <Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 11:06:36AM +0200, Werner Almesberger wrote:
>>
>> I'd actually favour an approach that completely de-specializes things,
>> e.g. by adding a mechanism to allow mounted file system to be moved to
>> other places, including on top of the existing root. Then make it
>> possible to move a file system with another one on top to a different
>> place, or to unmount it. I think there are actually some patches for
>> at least part of such functionality floating around.
>
>There are :-). Al Viro & I have been bouncing patches around for a few
>days now, spotting bugs in each others code and the code which already
>exists.

Well I still have the diffs for when I did this in an 1.1.x kernel
[I think, since the patch is dated 30 Mar 1995 ;)] by overloading chroot()
for init. See ftp://ftp.cistron.nl/pub/people/miquels/kernel/Old/new_root_diffs

Mike.
--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?