SubjectRe: egcs-1.1.2 ping bug also causes miscompilation of pcbit isdn driver
>   This behavior is *NOT* a bug in Egcs. A C compiler is free to reorder
> the members of a structure (except the first one, and the last one if it

So how it is possible to write programs which access data structures
in an externally prescribed binary format (e.g. filesystems,
executable headers, communications protocols)? Does this standard
effectively mean that the only way is *((foo *)base+pos) on char *base?

(I already have written code like that, but for a structure (in a comm
protocol) which includes variable length fields in the middle, which
you can't express in C at all.)

If so, C is more rotten than ever thought. It would mean that you
can't have "struct ip" etc. any more. Standard or not, this is just
absurd from a real world programmer's POV.

Olaf

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.458 / U:0.660 seconds]