    SubjectRe: Partition nightmare Was: Migrating to larger numbers
    Date
    Followup to:  <01JC9S6LXMO2001ICW@rcum.uni-mb.si>
    By author: DAVID BALAZIC <david.balazic@uni-mb.si>
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > Bradley M Keryan (keryan@andrew.cmu.edu) wrote :
    >
    > > On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:
    > >

    > > > Many people discussed the problems with partition names,
    > > > like finding the correct partition , shifting partition IDs
    > > > when changing HW configuration , etc.
    > > >
    > > > I have s simple solution for that:
    > > > Use partition names.
    > >
    > > This is (at least on the PC) a userspace issue.
    >
    > Not really, because you can't mount root ( / ) from userspace :-)

    Actually you can; it's called initrd. Currently, of course, initrd
    uses this funny hybrid user space-kernel space scheme for remounting
    the root; I believe that should be changed so that you actually mount
    the new root in a standard fashion and pass the kernel a file
    descriptor to the new root.

    -hpa
    --
    "The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
    Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with