SubjectRe: Profanity in the Linux Kernel?!?!?
rhw@MemAlpha.CX (Riley Williams)  wrote on 11.06.99 in <Pine.LNX.4.10.9906111832430.26266-100000@ps.cus.umist.ac.uk>:

> quantity - a misleading or ambiguous error message is worse than no
> error message at all in my experience.

Let me go on record as violently disagreeing, here.

A bad error message is still something you can track down. Even if it's
bad, you know that execution reaches the point where it gets printed, and
you can backtrack from there.

No error message and you have not even that.

In fact, in my experience, about a third of all error reports are
misleading anyway, even given the most careful messages, and there's
nothing you can do about that.

MfG Kai

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.137 / U:0.844 seconds]