    SubjectRe: multiply files in one (was GNU/Linux stance by Richard Stallman)
    :
    : Larry McVoy writes:
    : > : What I was getting at
    : > : was that if you pack the data together, then read-ahead will yield
    : > : more complete files, which translates to less transactions in the end.
    : >
    : > Read ahead really doesn't solve the problem for two reasons:
    : >
    : > 1) the allocation policies in almost all file systems is file
    : > centric - it's careful to get *a* file contiguous but isn't
    : > careful to get multiple files in the same directory all next
    : > to each other
    :
    : 1) is solved in reiserfs.
    :
    : >
    : > 2) even if (1) was solved, the file system needs to know that it
    : > bring in more data. If the file it is reading is 1K long,
    : > why should it brin in the next 5MB of data?
    :
    : I don't understand. How does this differ from any other sort of
    : read-ahead?

    We need read ahead algs on directories where the data being read ahead is
    the file data, not the directory data. I.e., I read on file in this
    directory, then the next, then the next, then the next, screw it, I'm
    reading the whole directory including all of its files.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.029 / U:0.400 seconds]