SubjectRe: Partition nightmare Was: Migrating to larger numbers
   Bradley M Keryan ( wrote :

> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:
> >
> > Many people discussed the problems with partition names,
> > like finding the correct partition , shifting partition IDs
> > when changing HW configuration , etc.
> >
> > I have s simple solution for that:
> > Use partition names.
> This is (at least on the PC) a userspace issue.

Not really, because you can't mount root ( / ) from userspace :-)

> As a previous poster pointed out, you can already do this by specifying
> LABEL=Home /home ext2 defaults 1 2
> or
> UUID=<whatever it is> /home ext2 defaults 1 2
> in fstab. I tried it, and mount likes the labels just fine. However, my
> fsck doesn't understand the labels yet (didn't try the UUIDs).

The difference is that Volume-label and UUID are stored in the partition, which
means they can't used with mkfs and neither with fsck , because the partition
may be currupt.

> Is there a new fsck that will look at ext2 labels like mount does?

The problem I describe a few lines above ...

> I suppose mount/fsck could be taught to look at the label in the RDB if
> you have an Amiga.

Now this makes sense.

> [snip]
> > Some might notice that I "borrowed" the idea from the Amiga line of computers.
> :)
> On my Amiga, when I was partitioning a new drive, it asked me for a name,
> so I gave it MOE:, which was an easier name to remember than DH3:

Or hda3 and what is more important it doesn't change by itself !

David Balazic , student
E-mail : | living in sLOVEnija
home page:
Computer: Amiga 1200 + Quantum LPS-340AT