    SubjectRe: Partition nightmare Was: Migrating to larger numbers
       Bradley M Keryan ( wrote :

    > On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:
    > >
    > > Many people discussed the problems with partition names,
    > > like finding the correct partition , shifting partition IDs
    > > when changing HW configuration , etc.
    > >
    > > I have s simple solution for that:
    > > Use partition names.
    > This is (at least on the PC) a userspace issue.

    Not really, because you can't mount root ( / ) from userspace :-)

    > As a previous poster pointed out, you can already do this by specifying
    > LABEL=Home /home ext2 defaults 1 2
    > or
    > UUID=<whatever it is> /home ext2 defaults 1 2
    > in fstab. I tried it, and mount likes the labels just fine. However, my
    > fsck doesn't understand the labels yet (didn't try the UUIDs).

    The difference is that Volume-label and UUID are stored in the partition, which
    means they can't used with mkfs and neither with fsck , because the partition
    may be currupt.

    > Is there a new fsck that will look at ext2 labels like mount does?

    The problem I describe a few lines above ...

    > I suppose mount/fsck could be taught to look at the label in the RDB if
    > you have an Amiga.

    Now this makes sense.

    > [snip]
    > > Some might notice that I "borrowed" the idea from the Amiga line of computers.
    > :)
    > On my Amiga, when I was partitioning a new drive, it asked me for a name,
    > so I gave it MOE:, which was an easier name to remember than DH3:

    Or hda3 and what is more important it doesn't change by itself !

    David Balazic , student
    E-mail : | living in sLOVEnija
    home page:
    Computer: Amiga 1200 + Quantum LPS-340AT

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.050 / U:2.684 seconds]