SubjectRe: [SuSE Linux] 2.2 Boot problems
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Bill C Riemers wrote:

> Exactly. Which is why I only posted a link. Although, I notice the
> latest versions of Netscape seem to download everything the link refers
> to without a click. Sort of defeats the whole purpose of selecting
> "send as link". I guess the moral of the story is just to manually type
> the URL and not use Netscape's "send as link" feature anymore.
>
> > Looks like the problem is pointing tward an IDE controller on a PCI
> > bus?? 00 dev 39 ??
> > then goes on with the ide 0 and ide 1 = to hda and hdc pio ???? p input
> > /output?
> > what did you change? or add? hardware? move your cabeling?
>
> When. After I bought the machine. Of course. The machine has one hard
> drive from my old computer, a SCSI/Fireware card, and an Eathernet card
> all of which didn't come with the computer. The hard drive I put in had
> my old kernel on it. Which is why I know that Linux detects the
> correct amount of memory on the machine with the older kernels, even though
> the machine is newer than the kernels that detect the right amount of
> memory.
>
> For the most part, besides the memory detection problem, I have never
> had any problems booting a 2.0.X kernel on this machine. However,
> the 2.2.X kernels and 2.1.X kernels have all exhibited the problem
> of loading PIIX drivers, and then freezing. That is true whether

There are NO "PIIX drivers" in 2.2.X, I mean no chipset code.

> I compile my own kernel, or I use pre compiled kernels like SuSE's boot
> floppies, or the floppies on their web site. My guess is if there was
> a way to disable the PIIX driver, my machine would boot normally with
> the 2.2.X kernels. But I haven't found any option to do that.

Try passing "ide0=noprobe ide1=noprobe"

> > are you saying you only redid a kernel and this is the outcome?
> > everything looks fine till the above mentioned error
> > is this a new setup?
>
> Nope, same setup I have been using. I just keep trying the 2.2 kernel
> periodically in hopes one of them will work. Mainly because I want to
> try the experimental USB support, and I've seen patches for FireWare
> support that I want to try.

You really should check to see if your BIOS correctly setup the PIIX/USB.

> What I'm planning on trying next if nobody has any better suggestions is
> manually hacking the kernel to disable the PIIX driver, and see what
> happens.

Tell us what you rip apart and why.
For the record, Mark is "The Former-Linux IDE guy" bestowing me the task.

Now which "PIIX" is the problem??? PIIXa-PIIXb-PIIX3-PIIX4

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:1.407 / U:0.340 seconds]