SubjectRe: cachefs module for linux?
Hi!

> > No. AFAIK coda server is unable to export existing tree. Coda likes
> > to do filesystem itself.
>
> Is this inherent in the design, or could it be worked around?

Probably could be worked around, I'm not a coda developer.

> I'd certainly be more inclined to use coda if I could gradually introduce
> (test) it without having to convert my existing data partitions.

I'd like that feature, too.

> Is it possible to set up a coda server which serves existing 'real'
> filesystems? An extension to podfuk, perhaps? Or should we start on
> kcodad?

Well, with podfuk any ftp server is good enough for you. Just cd
/#ftp:.../ to it ;-).

> What were the original reasons for using its own filesystem? Does it require
> metadata/functionality that POSIX filesystems don't provide?

Unknown. Look at http://coda.cs.cmu.edu/ for more information.

Pavel
--
I'm really pavel@ucw.cz. Look at http://195.113.31.123/~pavel. Pavel