    SubjectRe: cachefs module for linux?
    Hi!

    > > No. AFAIK coda server is unable to export existing tree. Coda likes
    > > to do filesystem itself.
    >
    > Is this inherent in the design, or could it be worked around?

    Probably could be worked around, I'm not a coda developer.

    > I'd certainly be more inclined to use coda if I could gradually introduce
    > (test) it without having to convert my existing data partitions.

    I'd like that feature, too.

    > Is it possible to set up a coda server which serves existing 'real'
    > filesystems? An extension to podfuk, perhaps? Or should we start on
    > kcodad?

    Well, with podfuk any ftp server is good enough for you. Just cd
    /#ftp:.../ to it ;-).

    > What were the original reasons for using its own filesystem? Does it require
    > metadata/functionality that POSIX filesystems don't provide?

    Unknown. Look at http://coda.cs.cmu.edu/ for more information.

    Pavel
    --
    I'm really pavel@ucw.cz. Look at http://195.113.31.123/~pavel. Pavel