    SubjectRe: XFS and journalling filesystems
    On Tue 1999-06-01 (02:28), David S. Miller wrote:

    > I'm afraid your concerns about kernel code size eating into buffer
    > cache or user memory are slightly out of date. These days it seems
    > damn near impossible to buy anything with less than 32 MB memory!
    >
    > There are third world countries where Linux is used heavily where a
    > 486 with 16MB of ram is a "big computer". These concerns are by no
    > means out of date at all.

    Of course you are right. But I guess you don't need a journalling FS on
    such machines, because the hard disks will be small, too, so fsck time
    isn't such a big issue.

    Of course, if ext2fs is dropped from the standard kernel distribution in
    favour of XFS, there might be some problem on lowest-end machines---but,
    given the installation base of ext2fs, I don't think that will ever
    happen.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.019 / U:1.368 seconds]