    SubjectRe: Problems with 2.2.9, EEpro100 and IPv6 (was: Re: 2.2.0-pre9 and still "misbehaviour" with EEpro/100)
    Hi,

    On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 06:49:41PM +0400, kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:
    > > It definitely triggers it. Maybe something goes haywire when no IPv6
    > > routers can be found? Or with the IPv6 multicast stuff?
    >
    > eepro100 falls to insanity when more than three addresses are loaded
    > to multicast filters. Nobody was able to repair it.
    >
    > The workaround is to set multicast_filter_limit to 3.
    > After this you will be able to use IPv6 at least, though
    > if someone multicasts video on wire, you will have to participate 8)8)

    Yes. Exactly this is what I did:

    insmod eepro100 multicast_filter_limit=3

    and it works now. IPv6 is loaded, and still the machine doesn't flood the
    network, it "just works". Also, the interrupt counters in /proc/interrupts
    stay sane, no "race" anymore.

    So, for me, this looks like we should hard-code this limit unless someone
    with more insight into the guts of this card can repair it? Having
    a potentially higher load on this machine (because I can't filter "other"
    multicast groups on the net) sounds a lot better than flooding other
    machines with immense amounts of garbage.

    gert
    //www.muc.de/~gert/
    Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de
    fax: +49-89-35655025 gert.doering@physik.tu-muenchen.de