SubjectRe: Problems with 2.2.9, EEpro100 and IPv6 (was: Re: 2.2.0-pre9 and still "misbehaviour" with EEpro/100)
Hi,

On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 06:49:41PM +0400, kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:
> > It definitely triggers it. Maybe something goes haywire when no IPv6
> > routers can be found? Or with the IPv6 multicast stuff?
>
> eepro100 falls to insanity when more than three addresses are loaded
> to multicast filters. Nobody was able to repair it.
>
> The workaround is to set multicast_filter_limit to 3.
> After this you will be able to use IPv6 at least, though
> if someone multicasts video on wire, you will have to participate 8)8)

Yes. Exactly this is what I did:

insmod eepro100 multicast_filter_limit=3

and it works now. IPv6 is loaded, and still the machine doesn't flood the
network, it "just works". Also, the interrupt counters in /proc/interrupts
stay sane, no "race" anymore.

So, for me, this looks like we should hard-code this limit unless someone
with more insight into the guts of this card can repair it? Having
a potentially higher load on this machine (because I can't filter "other"
multicast groups on the net) sounds a lot better than flooding other
machines with immense amounts of garbage.

gert
//www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025 gert.doering@physik.tu-muenchen.de