    SubjectRe: performance & you-know-who
    On Sun, 9 May 1999, Craig I. Hagan wrote:

    > > (we can kill atime, mke2fs with fancy options or use reiserfs, add the
    > > Beowulf hack for multiple Ethernet cards, hack the scheduler, etc.)
    >
    > changing web serving software, run reverse squid proxies and similar
    > should also be on the table for consideration.
    >
    > -- craig

    I did some bechmarks between a straight Debian slink machine
    (glibc-2.0) running 2.2.5 and a glibc-2.1 machine running
    2.2.7+NVSv3+Channel Bonding and the vanilla Debian machine provided 10x
    better performance according to specweb.

    This is with both the document root and the logfiles on NFS mounts from a
    NetApp box and running Zeus web server.

    There seemed to be some network bottleneck with the juiced up machine, CPU
    load was <1 and the performance is best described as "bursty".

    I have a test machine available that will be running when I can get power
    to it that should allow me to find out exactly what the problem was.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.021 / U:0.408 seconds]