    SubjectNew partition type?
    Hi Manfred.

    As fdisk is in the utils-linux package, I've cc'd this response to the
    maintainer thereof for comment...

    > I have a new idea: what about supporting 'fast reboot', and then
    > we can use this 'fast reboot' feature for the oops-reboot.

    > 1) what's 'fast reboot'. Windows 95 has the feature that you can
    > reboot Windows without restarting the computer, i.e. not BIOS
    > self test. Much faster. It's implemented by an old DOS program
    > that sits below Windows: (WIN.COM) if Windows exits with return
    > code 0x42, then it will restart windows instead of shutting
    > down the computer.

    This works because Windows sits on top of DOS, and DOS itself has such
    a simple map of how things work that it's almost impossible for it to
    go wrong. Linux doesn't have an equivalent.

    Also, any option involving a reboot is dependant on the loader used to
    load the Linux kernel being the first thing the system does on reboot,
    so it rules out systems that need to use loadlin or equivalent loaders
    to boot.

    Personally, I would see oops-handling as a system-dependant config
    option, with the following as possibilities:

    1. Write the oops to a dedicated oops partition.

    No such partition type currently exists, so one would need to be
    designed. Personally, if such was to be done, I'd prefer to see
    a dedicated syslog partition rather than one that just handled
    oops, with all syslog data being written to the partition using
    a crash-safe method.

    2. Write the oops to the tail end of a designated swap partition, and
    have swapon check for an oops in each swap partition it mounts,
    and write any oops found to syslog before mounting the partition.

    This option requires the system to have a swap partition, which
    isn't always the case.

    3. Perform a WARM reboot, which skips the memory test phase of the
    POST on most systems.

    This option requires that whatever loads the Linux kernel is the
    first thing to be run by the bootup process.

    If it's of interest, I'd be willing to have a go at writing the driver
    for option (1) above, with the aim of making it safe for use in most
    oops scenarios. There's little I could do to protect against its being
    overwritten other than insist that it's either absent or hard compiled
    into the kernel, as loading a module would be inherently unsafe in the
    cases where it's most needed.

    If there's support for this, I would start by proposing a partition
    type number for it, my choice being 0xfc as 252 decimal is said to be
    one of my lucky numbers, and doesn't appear to be in use.

    Andries: Can you confirm this?

    Best wishes from Riley.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.022 / U:3.532 seconds]