SubjectRe: Oops assist...
In message <Pine.LNX.4.10.9905061439110.5427-100000@dialup-1-44-pb.wcnet.org>,
"Michael B. Trausch" writes:
+-----
| On Thu, 6 May 1999, Keith Owens wrote:
| KO>That is hitting a special case, a triple page fault. The buggy RAM
| KO>caused a fault, the error handler took another fault, recovering from
| KO>that failed again - instant reboot from hardware. In a lot of cases,
|
| Wow. Ya learn something new every day.
|
| I need to get out of high school and into a good CS college. =)
+--->8

I think you won't find many CS schools teaching that kind of thing --- at
least, not in "x86 handles it *this* way" terms, except possibly as an
example of a particular response. If you want to find out the ugly details
for a particular processor family, you need to get friendly with the
technical documentation for the processors.

(No, it's not a "given" that all CPUs respond that way. No doubt there are
many processors that simply hang....)

--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu