    SubjectRe: Overscheduling DOES happen with high web server load.
    On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 03:34:56AM -0700, Jim Gettys wrote:
    > 100hz == 10 ms == about 1/3 - 1/6 of human perception or your latency
    > budget for actions to be percieved as truly "instantaneous"; you
    > never can get latency back.
    >
    > Given Jay's recent mail on the topic, I think things jibe with my memory:
    > the console is set that high in large part since we run that fast on other
    > operating systems; this got set as part of the initial experiments when
    > porting to new architectures; the cost of running at a high basic
    > rate is low enough that this was a rational design decision.
    > - Jim

    1) Please note that the overscheduling problem was NOT caused by HZ being
    high. (I guess you know, I just wanted to point out again.)
    2) The kernel can wake up processes immediately, if they blocked on I/O
    before, orif they get a signal, so the interactive feeling does not
    necessarily on HZ. From what I know, the Linux kernel does it that way.
    3) There might still be cases where processes should be scheduled ASAP but
    are only on the next scheduler tick. I got some multithreaded (pthreads)
    numerical benchmark which depends on the HZ setting. (At least it did,
    when I last tested (2.2.2 or smth similar), but maybe Ingo has changed
    something soince then.)
    This is the reason for my HZ=400 on ix86 patch.
    http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/

    Regards,
    --
    Kurt Garloff <garloff@suse.de> SuSE GmbH, Nürnberg, FRG
    Linux kernel development; SCSI driver: DC390 (tmscsim/AM53C974)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.044 / U:92.140 seconds]