    SubjectRe: Oops assist...
    On Thu, 6 May 1999, Manfred Spraul wrote:

    > Philipp Rumpf wrote:
    > >
    > > > i.e. the Oops is dumped to the first (after the header) sector of the
    > > > swap file. The computer is restarted automatically. I don't
    > > > think that it a good idea to continue after an Oops:
    > > > if you kill a kernel thread, then you have memory corruptions,
    > > > lost spinlocks, lost semaphores: the computer will crash in a few
    > > > seconds anyway.
    > >
    > > *Bzzzt*. It is actually good we do not die on oopses. they are a convenient
    > > way to test drivers, and the most common oops cause (dereferenced NULL pointer)
    > > does not cause memory corruption.
    > This oops does not cause a memory corruption, it is often caused by a
    > previous
    > memory corruption...
    > I don't agree because:
    > a) spinlocks & semaphores are still a big problem. This problem gets
    > bigger
    > as we further deserialize the kernel.
    > b) if you test drivers, it would be possible to use the old behaviour:
    > the problem is that if you have a oops on a production machine, then
    > you don't know what happened, i.e. internal ext2 structures could be
    > corrupted, and if you don't restart immediately, then you risk that
    > the harddisk gets corrupted further, or wrong data could be sent over
    > the network. Look at a journaling filesystem: it can recover quickly,
    > because it knows that all incomplete writes are described in the log:
    > if one sector write is lost, and the computer crashes 60 seconds later,
    > then the fsck will not be able to detect the error by examining the log.

    Wouldn't it be quite reasonable to make "Reboot on Oops" an config-option
    or a sysctl?

    /David Weinehall
    _ _
    // David Weinehall <> /> Northern lights wander \\
    // Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
    \> </ Full colour fire </

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.020 / U:2.528 seconds]