SubjectRe: Oops assist... [New idea]
On Fri, 7 May 1999, Manfred Spraul wrote:
> 1) what's 'fast reboot'.
> Windows 95 has the feature that you can reboot Windows without
> restarting
> the computer, i.e. not BIOS self test. Much faster.
> It's implemented by an old DOS program that sits below Windows:
> (WIN.COM)
> if Windows exits with return code 0x42, then it will restart windows
> instead of shutting down the computer.

The reason that Windows 95/98 can do this is because of the fact that they
are user-level programs. They are not full operating systems. For this
to work with Linux, the kernel would have to put the processor in Real
Mode and call int 19 (I think it's 19). That loads the boot loader, but
the processor has to be in 100% real mode or it freezes. No memory
management, nothing.

The only configuration that's allowed that was MS-DOS (or any other DOS
except FreeDOS, AFAIK) that didn't have ANY device drivers loaded.

> 2) How could we implement it?
> We could add a new proc entry /proc/lilo_sect.
> You write the current boot sector to this sector during startup.
> (lilo must update the proc copy).

How so? /proc is a filesystem set up by the kernel AFTER a boot. LILO
can't access that, unless it's got technology that allows it to jump into
the future. =)

> If we want to perform a fast reset, then we switch back to real mode,
> move that sector to 0x7c00 (??) and we
> execute the lilo sector.
> --> kernel reloaded, but memory not cleared.
>
> setup_arch() could check if we have an oops, and move it into dmesg.
>
> Advantages:
> * fast reboot, a new feature
> * we could store oops reports during startup: start with the buggy
> kernel,
> oops, lilo, switch to the stable kernel --> oops in the system log.

Don't think that would work.

Michael B. Trausch
President of Linux Operations, ADK Computers
ADK Computers, Walbridge Office Phone: 419.838.8104
5375 Keller Road Main Office: 419.882.7435
Walbridge, OH 43465 E-Mail: mtrausch@wcnet.org
Thursday, May 06, 1999
Honey, PLEASE don't pick up the PH$@#*&$^(#@&$^%(*NO CARRIER

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.075 / U:0.368 seconds]