SubjectRe: Oops assist...
On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 04:26:31PM +0200, BROWN Nick wrote:

> NT has several options when the machine crashes:
[snip]

I think this is the way we have to go. I don't think you stand a whelk's chance
in a supernova of finding a mechanism that will work for every machine even
of the same architecture.

I'd suggest a submenu in the kernel config, allowing options like (off the
top of my head):
i) write oops data to console / serial / parallel
ii) broadcast oops data to network (UDP? raw ethernet frames?)
iii) write to (reserved?) hard disk area via BIOS
iv) write to IDE hard disk area
v) save to nvram
vi) store in RAM area conserved across reboot
vii) store in VGA card framebuffer conserved across reboot

For maximum reliability (if you can use such a word after an oops!), the
systems to do the above should try to relying on as little of the rest of the
(kernel) world as possible.

Maybe even a module interface so you load an oops-handler at boot time (you
wouldn't want on-demand kmod loading, obviously <g>)...

S.

--
"If the bottom is falling out of your world, then have a drink here and
the world will fall out of your bottom."