SubjectRe: Ken Thompson interview in IEEE Computer magazine (fwd)
Hi all,

I have seen a lot of thoughts pouring out in this thread. Some
say Linux is the best I can get for my money. Others say that
yes linux has good code as well as bad code. Accepting the truth
however bitter it is, is one thing and thinking about the possible
ways to make it not repeated again is another thing.

Now that Linux had made its presence in many commercial
environments and has attained a momentum in the OS world it is
you people who should try to sustain it. Therefore one should
think of ways to improve the process of development this
beautiful little kernel, however small it may be.

One of you guys should really sit down and prepare a document
on Linux coding style issues which should be publicized generously.
It would guide many developers around the world on how to code in
the proper way. This should go forward in the way of popularizing
a universal coding practice. Then atleast we can limit the drastic
variation in the quality of code from one place to the other.

The next one is, often the kernel gets the blackmark for some
ugly driver doing something ugly somewhere that would hamper the
whole kernel's performance. Although Rubini's wonderful book on
device drivers is there, the important points from that book and
additional data if needed should be skimmed out so that it presents
an easy reference to the device driver developer.

Mostly as I see the ugly part of any code is a result of improper
design. This should be avoided. Before really coding out anything
the DFD should be drawn and the interaction between the verious
modules should be clearly put forth. The design can be brain
stormed in the list that will result in a more refined design.

It is high time that Linux embraces some sort of software engineering
model rather than remain as a kernel hackers play toy.

Comments?

Cheers,
Jana

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.092 / U:0.304 seconds]