SubjectRe: __initfunc missing in a lot of places
davem@redhat.com wrote:
> Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 14:14:13 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "B. James Phillippe" <bryan@terran.org>
>
> If so, I am trying to understand why this nifty feature is not used
> in many drivers within 2.2.6. Is this just because the author has
> not yet taken advantage of this option, or because there are subtle
> reasons why it cannot be used in some circumstances? If the
> latter, I'd like to better understand those reasons. :-)
>
> In several cases it is because nobody got around to it yet.
>
> In some others, we put it in, but then discovered that the routine in
> question does sometimes need to be invoked after the kernel is done
> booting, so using an initfunc was not valid in those cases.

In cases like this, I recommend adding a comment to that place. Linus
should get into the habbit of accepting patches that add comments.

"the source" should be acommunication channel.

Like today, Linus explained some stuff about some flag, and I think
that should get to go in the code.

People like James, should be "allowed" to dive in and do some stupid
footwork to get to know the kernel a bit better....

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------