SubjectPCMCIA/network behaviour broken
I just upgraded my laptop to RedHat 6.0, and thus 2.2.x.  I tried going to
2.2.x once before and gave up, and now (too late) I remember this is the
reason:

I use a selection of PCMCIA network cards (any of 3 Lucent WaveLAN cards,
3c562C net/modem combo) on various networks, both home and work. Since
RedHat doesn't deal with different networks very cleanly, I've tied off
some of their code and written my own scripts to configure the network.
This is irrelevant, though.

The issue is the behaviour of the kernel when I remove a card. In 2.0.x,
I could remove a live card and it would cleanly remove the associcated
interface and routes, and all would be well. This is required in the case
where I suspend my laptop and remove the card(s) to fit it into the case.
When it resumes, PCMCIA card services shuts down the card (it trivially
deals with suddenly non-existant devices, as is the nature of PCMCIA), and
the interface disappears.

The new behaviour, as of 2.2.x (unknown in which 2.1.x. kernel it
started, never ran those on my laptop), is for the interface to be left in
a hung state, with the entire networking stack (or at least the bits I can
get to) completely frozen. I'm forced to reboot to clear the state and
get back to work.

Suspend/resume behaviour has gotten even more strange, with PCMCIA card
services removing the modules for the device upon resume, but the
interface remaining in the kernel (thus ifconfig output) until I try to
remove it, at which point the networking stack freezes.

Unfortunately, this behaviour is going to cause much hassle on my box and
others', since I'm forced to take down the interface of all cards before
removing them, and explicitely removing and reinstalling them before/after
suspend/resume. Since I'm not used to this, I'm preparing myself to spend
a lot of time rebooting and/or fscking until this is fixed.

I don't know nearly enough about the networking code to be able to fix
this, but I will gladly assist anyone in fixing this.

BTW, lest you ask, this is not a pcmcia-cs thing, since I'm running 3.0.9
now and was running 3.0.9 with 2.0.x.

TTYL,
Omega

Erik Walthinsen <omega@cse.ogi.edu> - Staff Programmer @ OGI
Quasar project - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/DISC/projects/quasar/
Video4Linux Two drivers and stuff - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~omega/v4l2/
__
/ \ SEUL: Simple End-User Linux - http://www.seul.org/
| | M E G A Helping Linux become THE choice
_\ /_ for the home or office user

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.043 / U:0.416 seconds]