    SubjectRe: serial callout devices
    Date
    Theodore Y. Ts'o writes the following:
    >The kernel has started warning people that the cua devices are obsolete
    >as of the 2.2 kernel. Unfortunately not all of the distributions (and
    >have been appropriately chastised on another list for not knowing that
    >Debian *has* phased out use of the cua devices) have made the cua
    >devices go away in their latest 2.2-kernel based distributions. This is
    >unfortunate, since a large number of users may still expect that they be
    >there. So whether you feel the need to support it is up to you, and
    >depends on who your user/customer base is.

    Last I heard, the ttyS* devices had to be opened O_NONBLOCK for callout. This
    is impossible to do from a shell script (e.g. ppp-on). So the cua* devices
    are still useful to people who don't want to rewrite their dialup scripts.

    (And yes, I use a /dev/modem symlink too. Change one symlink instead of
    reconfiguring $BIGNUM different programs)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.020 / U:32.352 seconds]