    SubjectRe: dso loading question
    Date
    Ralf writes:
    > On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 03:11:23PM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

    >> Putting all the above into the kernel would reduce overall bloat.
    >> Think about it. Every damn executable has the same startup code.
    >> We'd save a page (few pages?) of code and data on every executable,
    >> as well as all the system calls:
    >>
    >> All open() and close() calls are junk.
    >> All mmap() calls may be replaced by direct VM manipulation.
    >> All munmap() and mprotect() calls are junk.
    >> The fstat() call is junk, since the kernel can just look.
    >> The personality() call is junk. (directly read it)
    >> The getpid() call is junk. (provide it in user-readable memory)
    >>
    >> On every exec, that kills 16 system calls and a bit of IO.
    >
    > The same arguments could be used to put every application into the kernel.

    Well then, let's do it! :-)

    No. Any app that isn't constantly in memory fails "reduce overall bloat".
    That leaves init, /bin/sh, and X. Some systems actually do put those in
    the kernel. We leave out init because performance doesn't matter much,
    and it doesn't really _run_ very much. It just sits in swap. We leave
    out /bin/sh because it is untrusted and already-bloated FSF code.
    We leave out X because the server is a monolithic old beast that won't
    cooperate with kernel memory management.

    Look at every case individually. There are tradeoffs to consider.
    I'm _not_ saying this is surely a win, but it might be one.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.031 / U:61.908 seconds]