SubjectRe: Annoying GPL issues
   From: Bob Taylor <brtaylor@inreach.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 19:14:31 -0700

> Okay, maybe we can grant copyright of some part of core kernel code to
> FSF. Anyone who does have code in kernel core should be able to grant
> their copyright to FSF. [I'd volunteer, but my only bigger piece of
> code in kernel is nbd ;-)]

Nooooooooo!

Agreed. If you have the best interests of the Linux community at heart,
absolutely not. Keep in mind that Richard Stallman is an ideologue; an
activist. He has the interests of his particular political agenda as
his primary motivator, and I am sure he would perfectly happy to
sacrifice Linux in the name of furthering the goals of promoting his
ideas about free software if that ever became necessary.

My personal loyalties is not to the FSF but to the Linux community, and
most of the Linux community tend to be pragmatists. Open Source
Software is preferable, and we work to make better and greater amounts
of OSS, but if someone needs to purchase an Accelerated-X server in
order to get support for a video card using a Savage 3D chipset, that's
fine. We don't berate someone for having a moral failure because they
used (oh, horrors!) propietary software on their Linux system.

As such, the goals of the FSF are very different than the goals of the
Linux community, and the last thing we should want to do is give that
kind of power over to the FSF. Otherwise, some day we might see an
announcement in Slashdot...

"We had to destroy the village in order to save it".

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.048 / U:0.164 seconds]